Committee Members read student scholarship applications that are received electronically. The Scholarship program is computerized, paperless, and members of the committee must use a computer to read, evaluate and score the applications online. Those members who also choose to conduct in person interviews must record their scores online. Committee members may be called upon to use a computer to interview scholars who are out of the country using a video/voice transmission such as Skype. Therefore, it is important to note, that facility with computers and technology is a required skill for all Scholarship Committee members.
- If a member of the Scholarship Committee has a relative applying for a scholarship, they may not serve on the Scholarship Committee during the academic year in which the relative has applied.
Specific responsibilities and requirements for all committee members:
- Members commit to approximately 60 or more hours annually – December through April. (Applications are read and scored in December; interviews are held February through April.)
- Members must be computer literate, and feel comfortable using technology and working online.
- Members must attend the required mandatory interview and application evaluation training session usually held in January.
- Members are required to check their emails regularly and respond to them in a timely manner.
- Members may choose only to read and score at least 30 online applications.
- Members may choose to read and score at least 30 online applications and sign up to be a member of an in person interview team.
- Members who sign up to be interviewers must sign up for a minimum of three days during the months of February through April.
- Members who are scheduled for interviews must arrive at least 30 minutes before the first interview is scheduled. Interviews are scheduled at USC from 10:00 A.M. to 3:30 P.M.
- Members who interview must complete their evaluations and recommendations online within 48 hours following the day of the interviews.
Members should be available to participate and assist, with the following events:
- The annual Scholars’ Back to School Celebration (early September)
- The annual Scholarship Luncheon (in February)
Town and Gown members who wish to become a member of the Scholarship Committee may do so when they renew their dues every year in May.